“Ok, I want to use Adwords Scripts, but how on earth do I even get started?”
Well, as with everything in PPC, it depends. There are basically three ways to get started with scripts, and the best way for you depends on your specific situation.
Option 1: Copy-Paste publicly available scripts
Googling for scripts written by others is a perfect way to easily get you started in no time. You don’t have to figure everything out yourself and most scripts are easily modified/configured to your needs.
- Gets you started quickly; just follow these instructions and you’ll have your first script running in less than 5 minutes.
- Many scripts out there are completely FREE
- Many use cases of scripts are covered by free scripts. Here’s a great list of publicly available scripts. A great script i recommend installing the first is “The best adwords script i ever used”.
- Although there are many scripts out there, the set is limited. Once you get a feel for what is possible and realize scripts can do almost ANYTHING you’ll probably come up with use cases that aren’t covered by the free ones.
- Many of the scripts that are freely available aren’t maintained and are not supported. This means the code can be out of date and or dysfunctional.
- Black Box. If you simply copy-paste scripts without reading the code you don’t know what is really going on if you execute the script. Do you really trust the script to do only the things you want it do, and do nothing more?
That brings us to our next option.
Option 2: Write your own first and easy script
If you write your scripts yourself, you’ll definitely know what is going on. This is also a great way to start learning a new skill that potentially will skyrocket your career. (PPC skills + Automation skills = $$$)
- Almost endless possibilities to automate many tedious, repetitive PPC tasks. Customized to your exact needs. You will be able to write/enhance/edit scripts to automate processes that are unique to your business.
- You’re in full control; the scripts does exactly what you want it to do.
- It’s FREE (well, sort of). The only expense is your time, not $.
- It can be hard to come up with, and write Scripts yourself
- Oh yes, you need to spend time maintaining the code, which can be tedious.
Option 3: Have someone else write one for you
- Again, almost endless possibilities to automate many tedious, repetitive PPC tasks. Customized to your specific needs.
- You do not need to code anything yourself
- You need to find a good programmer who knows about Adwords
- You need to be able to communicate with developers
- Cash out $
There you have it. Three ways to get started with your first script in less than 30 min.
Was this helpful? Subscribe to my mailing list to receive updates on each of the steps mentioned above.